Five years ago my family was joking “oh there is another hurricane coming to New Orleans”
Five years ago they were evacuating to come to Houston for “the weekend”
…to do some shopping
…see the family
…have a good time
…to crack jokes that they only time we see each other is when we evacuate
Five years ago we were relieved for a moment that Katrina had not caused that much damage
Five years ago my family and I were sitting on the couch watching the flood waters tear through the city we all love
Five years ago my Aunt was wondering if she was ever going to see her son again
Five years ago my family was praying that their homes were still standing
Five years ago we never thought we would be housing over 10 people in our home ranging from 3 years old to 80
Five years ago my dear friend did lose her home, and almost everything she owned
Five years ago my cousin was stuck inside the NOLA courthouse because of rising waters
Five years ago is something that we will never forget
Thanks to Mama and the Dudes for awarding me 1st place for my WOW photo
Hurricane Katrina is something that we will never forget. My family did get lucky and only sustained minor damage, but the city was forever changed. These photos were taken - mostly in the lower ninth ward - a few months after the storm hit. These images I will never forget, seeing the destruction up close is indescribable.
My cousin who was a police officer at the time, stayed there through the storm, after the storm hit we could not get a hold of him, he had to write his contact information on his clothes in case anything happened. Him and his buddy ended up being able to evacuate after several days. His sister picked him, his buddy, and his buddy's 3 great aunts - all in their late 70's early 80's (there were 3, we called them the golden girls) and brought them to my parents house. It was heartwarming to see people come together to help our NOLA family that was in need, and we will never forget what happened 5 years ago this weekend.
On a lighter note, I won another photo challenge - it was a great Thursday! I wontthe "Shadow" challenge over at The Wishful Lamb. Here was my entry

Thank you for all the kind comments on my photos this week, and thank you for the awards! I have really enjoyed challenging myself this week, and reading some new and fantastic blogs. Thanks again everyone!













Oh my goodness. The destruction is heartbreaking in pictures; I can't imagine seeing it close up. Surely something you'll never forget. Your "wow" photo was like nothing I've seen. I can see that being a newsworthy photo...incredible.
ReplyDeleteLike you said...on a lighter note, congrats on your wins this week! Great job! :-)
Wow...those pictures are incredible and heartbreaking. I remember a storm much less severe but very damaging in my hometown.
ReplyDeleteI am hosting a party over at Sassy Sites today too! I would love to have you join us and show off your fun blog! Come by and say hi and grab a button! oh... AND come and sign up for our giveaway too! $50 Gift Card in Vinyl Lettering!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteMarni @ Sassy Sites!
I am so sorry you had to experience that. It's hard to look at. I am glad your family was safe. Very, very glad.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your shadow picture. How cool!