For Mother's Day I decided that I wanted to make a delicious dessert to go with our day of grilling. My husband and I had our mom's (and dad's) over and we cooked and spent the day together. I wanted to make something different than brownies, so I decided on a strawberry cake. I found the recipe online and tweeked it a little bit. You see I wanted to make some 3 layer fantastic over the top yumminess, so I doubled the recipe.

Ingredients
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 ounces frozen strawberries
1/2 cup buttermilk
Directions
1.Thaw and drain the frozen strawberries (I also diced them up)
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease on 9x13 inch cake pan.
3.Combine the white cake mix, strawberry gelatin, oil, eggs, flour, thawed strawberries, and buttermilk and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
After doubling this recipe, and realizing that 3 layers of this was going to be a bit much, I opted for 2. I also decided to buy a couple packages of fresh strawberries and slice those and add a layer of those in the middle with icing, then cover the top with them as well. I did have another round cake left over, plus sstrawberries so I made that and delivered it to my friend Erin who had just had a baby. So yay for not wasting food!
As far as the icing goes, I just used an easy cream cheese frosting recipe found here.
It was delicious if I do say so myself, and the chocolate lovers (the dad's) loved it as well. Here is how it turned out.



Check out more creative bloggers here





And now I want cake. *drools*
ReplyDeleteyummy!!!! I WANT
ReplyDeleteOMGoodness...that looks incredible! I'm going to have to make this on a splurge day!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I think I just gained 5 lbs by looking at these photos! YUM! I live right outside of Houston, so you don't mind if I swing by & pick up a slice do you? lol :)
ReplyDeletehahaha Courtney! If I still had some I would have gladly given it to you!
ReplyDelete