September 1, 2010

August 2010 Photo Hunt Challenge - Submission Time!

I cannot believe August is over! I participated in my first photo hunt challenge and after 4 weeks our submissions are finally due. I am excited to show you my interpretations of all 20 themes, some of which I have posted already...so here they are

1. Flag that represents me - This is the Cuban flag, my father was born and raised there and came to the U.S. right after Castro took over, being Cuban is a big part of my heritage - the other half of me is Cajun - and I would not have it any other way
Emily - flag

2. Something Comfortable - Our cat Bentley thinks this is the most comfortable spot in the house, which is buried in the pile of clean clothes before I {get to} fold them
Emily - Comfortable

3. Something In Season - The sport me and my husband agree on, baseball! We love it, we love the atmosphere, and love going to games. I snapped this photo when we were walking in to the game a couple weeks ago
Emily - In Season

4. Feet - My friends newborn Caleb - and the cutest shoes
Emily - Feet

5. Repetition - The seats at the baseball game
Emily - repetition

6. Culture/Ethnicity - I was originally going to use the Cuban flag as this entry but got the theme mixed up, but I think this still works. I was born and raised in Texas so I may have the Cuban/Cajun background but I am a Texas girl
Emily - culture

7. Contrast - OK I thought outside the box on this one, and instead of using a black and white photo or something similar to show contrast, I decided to use peanut butter and jelly, because like a black and white photo they are polar opposites, but work well together
Emily - contrast

8. An Indulgence - What is better than brownies and chocolate covered strawberries??
Emily - Indulgence

9. Macro/Closeup - I think this photo explains itself, and I love that the flower reminds me  of a Georgia O'Keefe painting
Emily - macro

10. Something Masculine - My husband said grilling cannot be done without having a beer
Nikon 019

11. Something Feminine - These were the shoes I wore on my wedding day...LOVE
Emily - Something Feminine

12. Light - One of my favorite places - This is one of my archived photos, taken in July 2010. I just was not happy with the original photo I was going to use
Emily - Light

13. Eco-Friendly - I had a hard time with this one, but here is what I came up with. Everyone needs to think green, and this sign is proudly displayed at the Astros ballpark. I do love that the Pirates player in the bullpen looks like he is actually thinking though
Emily - eco

14. Business - I went to the outlet malls this past weekend and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to capture a business sign
Emily - Business

15. Arrow - Me and My husbands favorite BBQ place
Emily-Arrow

16. Something Wet - Nothing cuter than a wet "mohawk do" on my nephew
Emily - Something Wet

17. Something Dry - My friend and I found these barrels of hay a couple weeks ago and thought that it was pretty fitting for this theme
Emily - Something Dry

18. Butterflies - Well, my original photo for this did not turn out, so I had to get a little creative. Not exactly a real butterfly but it's creative right? I believe I saw 1 actual butterfly this whole month, I don't think they are wanting to come out in the 108 degree heat we are having in Texas...
Emily - butterfly

19. Heart Shaped Clouds - I had the hardest time finding a heart shaped cloud, when I did see them I didn't have my camera. So I came up with this idea
Emily - heart cloud

20. Strength - My husband HAD to have these kettle bell weights for Christmas so I thought they fit this theme perfectly
Emily - strength

I hope you enjoyed all my entries, I had a good time coming up with ideas and challenging myself more. I will definitely do this challenge again. Head on over to the August 2010 Photo Challenge to see all of the other entries!

Photobucket

23 comments:

  1. I LOVE the shot of the blue shoes. I wish that I would have worn blue shoes on my wedding day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the perspective in many of your shots -- it is fun to see things taken in creative ways. I also love the creativity in your butterfly and heart shaped clouds -- so cool : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. your photos are wonderful. the butterflies is so creative. love that you thought outside of the box! and the cloud is adorable. again great creativity and i think my absolute favorite is repeition. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your macro and repetition shots are my faves! Nice job on all of them. :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    Here are mine
    http://nanskimtn.blogspot.com/2010/08/august-2010-photo-hunt-challenge.html

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all your photos ! I love your flag. Repetition is fine. Ou do you really have to be texas girl ( Texas is pompous but Cuba is down-to-earth in my opinion :)Peanut butter and jelly is clever choice. (strawberries and icecream is good too:) butterflies very clever !!! Heart shape is cute. 20. Strengt is the winner !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job! I adore the flag and BBQ sign shots. Your wedding shoes were gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your photos are amazing!!! Great job. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful selection of photos, your kitty looks sooo cuddly & comfy...i just love repetition....beer is a great definition of masculine...love your wet cutie....and i really love the heart shaped clouds concept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5, 8, 9 are my faves, they are all great though!
    Funny that I used Hay for something dry as well, though I was in a car going 70 MPH, so your shot is MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your repetition is my all time favorite so far. I really think you did a great creative job with that. I also LOVED your butterfly shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great job, i love the color and clarity throughout! being from the midwest i really like the hay bails but agree with others that the repetition is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful pictures! I loved the repetition shot!!!! the heart-shaped clouds picture is too cute! those shoes are too cute, and I agree ... grilling can not be completed without beer, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely LOVE your repetition shot! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used a cat for my comfortable shot too. There is just something so cozy about a curled up kitty.

    I LOVE your repetition shot! And your interpretation of contrast was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful work! loved the hay shot and weight shots

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos! I love your comfortable shot! My cats are the same way! Your photo for feet is cute beyond words! Also, your macro! Your right, it does look like a beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Emily...these shots are AMAZING. I wish I could pick just one favorite, but they really are incredible. You eco-friendly shot looks like it should be an advertisement! Nice work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are all great! My hubby is Cuban, so I know that flag pretty well. I *think* my favorite is repetition. The seats are awesome. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, wonderful job!! This post made me smile...I also love me some Astros and Rudy's! My top three favorites are repetition, something feminine and light! Great submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Emily, I enjoyed your entry VERY MUCH!!! A Texas girl! I spent my whole summer in Austin and LOVE Rudy's moist brisket. It is the BEST!! Where in TX do you live? I was lucky enough to get a butterfly photo at Zilker Botanical Garden but boy was it HOT out that day!! Oofda! (I am from MN)
    Anyway, I just LOVED your interpretation with the photos, you did an awesome job. Hope you join us for future Photo Hunt Challenges as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed looking at each and every shot! Such amazing skill at making some seemingly ordinary things look so intriguing. Wonderful photography! I didn't find out about the August hunt until recently. I hope to participate next time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great shots! I love them! How cute is that comfy cat and those tiny feet??? LOVE them! I also love that you wore purple shoes to your wedding. And your heart cloud solution was perfect! I was stressing about that one. A LOT. I was so glad I actually saw one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your photos are so beautiful! I'm just getting back into photography, so I hope one day mine are as nice as yours :)

    ~ I'm visiting you from New Friend Fridays at The Girl Creative/The Trendy Treehouse.

    ReplyDelete