December 14, 2011

I have always wished...

That I had grandparents.

I mean obviously I HAD grandparents at one time I just never knew them. Well I knew my mom's mom but she lived in New Orleans and I did not see her much, and she passed away when I was a Junior in college.

Source: etsy.com via Teresa on Pinterest


My dad left Cuba with his sister right after Castro took over, left his family and came to the states, they passed away before I was even born.

My mom's dad died young so I never knew him either.

My grandma - well she was grandma. I saw her maybe twice a year and she would sometimes send cards. She passed away from Alzheimer's in her mid 80's (I think she was 83...or 84).

I was always jealous, and to some degree I still am of my friends who have a close relationship with their grandparents.

Grandparents day at school? I always had my godmother come.

Hubs was close with his grandmother, she passed away almost 2 years ago...at 100!
This was taken at her 100th birthday celebration in Feb 2010 - did she not look amazing?

I always wanted to have that special relationship that my friends have with their grandparents. My parents are older so even though I am not ready for kids (make that singular...) I fear that our child will not have the chance to have that either.

It is so great to see Evan (my nephew) with his Nani and Papi, he just loves going over there spending the weekend and going to the recycling place with his Papi.

I think I was most sad for Evan when my brother-in-law's mother passed away in April because now he is with one less grandparent to make those awesome memories with.

I always think more about this during the holidays so sorry for the sappy post!

I am thankful for the awesome family I do have and I look forward to the next couple of weeks of spending the holidays with them, and seeing how excited Evan is on Christmas!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Grandparents are amazing people! I miss mine dearly, especially around the holidays. It's hard but the memories are so very special :)

    ReplyDelete