July 7, 2009

Killer Guac'

A couple weeks ago we had some people over to help celebrate us finally getting settled into our new home. A co-worker found a guacamole recipe that sounded amazing so I decided to give it a try. I modified it a little bit and it was a hit. So I thought I would share it with you:

Ingredients
  • 5 strip(s) medium-thick bacon (full-flavored smoky bacon is great here)
  • 3 medium-large, ripe avocados (about 1 1/4 pounds)
  • 1/2 medium-large white onion, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 1 can of Rotel, drained
  • Salt
  • 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice, up to 2 tablespoons

Directions

  1. In a large, 10-inch skillet, cook bacon in a single layer over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp and browned, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then crumble into small pieces.
  2. Cut around each avocado, from stem to blossom end and back again, then twist 2 halves apart. Scoop out pit and discard. Scoop flesh from skin into a large bowl. Using an old-fashioned potato masher or a large fork or spoon, mash avocados into a coarse puree.
  3. Scoop onion into a small strainer and rinse under cold water. Shake off excess water and transfer to bowl, along with the Rotel and bacon. (If guacamole isn't being served right away, don't add bacon until just before serving, because it loses crispness as it sits in guacamole.) Gently stir to combine all ingredients. Taste and season with salt (usually about 1/2 teaspoon) and enough lime juice to add a little sparkle.
  4. Cover with plastic wrap directly on surface of guacamole and refrigerate until ready to serve. Scoop guacamole into a serving dish and you're ready to serve.
I have never really had people ask me for a recipe, I am guessing it is because I do not really cook, so I am kind of proud of this dip everyone seemed to love. I also served a homemade potato salad that was a hit as well - and numerous people have asked for that recipe. I actually enjoyed cooking and cleaning - which was a first. I guess I am slowly becoming a domesticated queen..that will always enjoy her drinks!

Speaking of drinks I will leave you with this yummy summer beverage that a friend gave me
:
  • 750 ml Bottle of Vodka
  • 2 Liter of Sparkling Water
  • 2 10 oz Bags of Frozen Strawberries - I used 2 16 oz bags
  • 1 Can of Frozen Lemonade - I used 1.5 cans
  • Mix and Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I love Guacamole and it this isnt helping my hunger as of now. I'll have to make it sometime and hope I don't mess it up somwhere along the way. I tend to do that.

    ReplyDelete